So in our ongoing desire to be helpful, and make things easy, I thought it would be worthwhile to talk about this. And in doing so, point out when you might use one over the other, and to a degree, what they both do, and how they differ. So with that in mind, let’s get started.
Before I begin, I thought it would be important to give you a very brief piece of information about Plantronics as a company, because they’ve gone through some changes recently.
Not so long ago, Plantronics acquired a company called Polycom. And as you might know, Polycom was a company well-known for producing high quality audio, and video products.
Once the acquisition was complete, a new company emerged with an expanded product line, and a new name. The name of this new, consolidated company is Poly. So when you hear the name Poly being referred to, you’ll know the back story.
With that nugget of information out of the way, let’s dig into the Hub and Lens software.
First, between these two downloadable software programs, it was the Plantronics Hub software that arrived on the scene first. At the time, it was a bit of a game changer in that it gave headset users and Managers a new tool in the use, and management of headsets.
This helped to usher in a whole new era in headset management for sure. And like any new emerging technology, it predictably undergoes refinements, and improvements to help make it better, and even more user friendly.
This is something we’re seeing play out across all headset manufacturers that offer headset software. We’re seeing the use of headset software as being the new normal where in the past that simply wasn’t the case.
So what does the Plantronics Hub software do, and who should be using it?
In a general sense, the Plantronics HUB software allows an end-user to customize headset settings, and get visible status of their Poly, or Plantronics audio devices right on the desktop.
You can perform things such as:
- Perform firmware updates
- Customize ringtones
- Configure presence updates
- Select different languages for use with voice prompts
- Change device settings
- Get visible mute and battery status
- Adjust HD audio settings
- Headset pairing
In short, this software is really designed to give the end user some control over how the headset operates, and sounds. The HUB software is also capable of capturing data and event information directly from the headset, and sending it to the Plantronics Manager Pro software. Manager Pro is a totally separate SaaS program that’s used for managing and maintaining a complete headset environment.
Poly Lens Vs Plantronics Hub
First, unlike the HUB software that’s designed for use with headsets, in particular, the models that are of an older generation, Lens is meant to be used with headsets, speakerphones, telephones and video conferencing equipment. That alone makes these two software programs very different from each other.
The Poly Lens software is efficient for the individual user who wants to personalize their headset, but it’s equally efficient for the IT professional that needs to have visibility, and control over an entire population of devices.
Whether you want to remotely provision devices, monitor or troubleshoot, the Poly Lens software is with you every step of the way.
There are many things that this software can do, and among them are:
- Provide you with device update notices, so you’ll know when a new update is available which helps to keep your devices running well.
- Allow you to make personalized setting adjustments so your headset is configured how you like.
- Soundscape audio to provide you with different sound files to listen to while you work. This is designed to help keep you focused and productive.
- Help with a click gives you built in guides, support and troubleshooting assistance so you’re more productive.
- Give you a global view of your devices including headsets, speakerphones, telephones, and video conferencing equipment for simplified inventory control.
- Allow you to perform remote troubleshooting and updates which can really cut down on the number of support tickets.
- Remind you to take a break, look away from your computer monitor, and even to rehydrate so you’re always at your best.
- Give you better line of sight into your devices throughout the enterprise for device health and adoption rates.
- Provide you with intelligent news feeds that aggregate raw data into insights that show you system trends of your offline, online and in-use devices.
- And if using the mobile version of Lens, you also have a “Find My Device” feature so you’ll always know where it’s at.
This is only some of the capabilities of the Poly Lens software. Suffice it to say that it has something for everyone. So whether you’re wanting to
customize, and personalize your device, or whether you want to easily monitor and manage all your devices from one screen, the Poly Lens software is sure to please.
And finally, in a general sense, if you use legacy Poly / Plantronics headsets such as, say, the Savi W740 or CS540 for example, then the HUB software would be the appropriate software to use. But if you’re using newer devices that go beyond headsets, to include phones, speakerphones, and video conferencing systems, then the Lens software is the way to go.
I hope that this blog has helped you to gain a better understanding of these two Poly software offerings. Though they’re both offered through the same company, they are different in a number of ways. Whichever you might need, it’s my opinion that you’ll be happy with the ease in which you can update, customize and manage your Poly devices.
Have questions, or need some help?
It can get confusing when you’re trying to figure out headset stuff. There really are a lot of different options to consider, and so many different configurations. So rather than going it alone and hoping for a great outcome, why not let us help?
We’ve been helping customers with their headset questions, providing tailored headset solutions, and even lending a hand getting headsets up and running since 1994. We have a wealth of knowledge and experience that can make researching and using headsets much easier.
Just reach out to us here for some free, expert advice that I know you’ll really appreciate. But don’t take my word for it, check out our many 5 star online reviews and hear what others are saying about us.
Budget tight? How about new headsets for a low monthly rate?
Some might say; “we only purchase our headsets”. Well, consider these points before dismissing this idea altogether.
- You preserve your cash so you can use that cash for running your business rather than tying it up in a depreciating asset.
- You have one low, fixed monthly rate that’s easy to budget around. (headsets start at just $2.00 per month). I’d call that affordable. 3. You don’t have to spend additional money on replacement headset accessories, which all headsets require. (because those are included)
- You won’t have to pay out of pocket for headset repairs, and replacements either because your warranty never expires.
- Y won’t have to pay a certified e-waste recycling company to dispose of those old headsets, because we’ll take care of that.
- You won’t have to worry about having headsets that aren’t meeting your needs because they get refreshed periodically.
So, if you’d like to learn more about any of our programs, or just need some help, contact us here to see the many convenient ways you can reach us, which include by phone, email, text and live chat.